Sunday, October 26, 2014

Thanksgiving Squirrel

Hi everyone! I've been so tied up with card orders recently that i haven't been in the mood to blog this post. This card had been completed 2 weeks ago but October is not over yet! So isn't too late to share a thanksgiving card. I am back today to share with you a short tutorial on how to make autumn leaves and getting your fingers inky too! I used the above digital image from Gerda Steiner Designs (which can be found HERE!) and printed out only the squirrel with the pumpkin. 

 photo IMG_20141009_193025.jpg
I colored this image using my Copic markers and used my Uniball Signo Broad white pen to dot the areas with the black dots on the pumpkin. The black dots are a very good indicator to tell you where are the shadows on the pumpkin. Follow the black dots and those will be where your darkest color will be. And from this picture, you will see that i printed this same image 3 times. Read on to find out why!

 photo IMG_20141009_193144.jpg
These are the colors used for the pumpkin and the squirrel.

 photo IMG_20141009_193305.jpg
Next, i used Vintage Photo distress ink to stamp 3 autumn leaves from the Tim Holtz Stampers Anonymous Falling Leaves Rubber stamp set. Before the ink dried, i poured clear embossing powder over and heat set it. The embossing powder will create texture and accent the leave vines. 

 photo IMG_20141009_193226.jpg
Recently, i found greater joy in using sponge daubers than blending foams because they are easier to control and have lesser inked areas. I used Antique Linen, Vintage Photo and Ripe Persimmon to add colors onto the leaves. The ripe persimmon should be concentrated in the middle and the vintage photo should surround the outer area of the leaves at the last stage. The darker colors at the side of the leaves will create a more dimensional effect.

 photo IMG_20141009_193651.jpg
Next, i used Crafters Workshop Mini Wood Grain stencil with clear embossing paste to create my card background. The embossing paste works like a heated embossing powder, which resist inks. Using Hero Arts Butter Bar ink and a sponge dauber, i lay the color over it and end off wiping with a semi damped cloth to remove any excess ink over the embossing paste. 

 photo _MG_8638.jpg
Now, it is time to assemble my card. 

I colored 3 separate images:
1. I colored the squirrel body only and used a scallop circle die to cut.
2. I colored the squirrel head only and cut it out. I mounted on a single layer of foam squares.
3. I colored the pumpkin only and cut it out. I mounted this on a double layer of foam squares so that it is higher than/more popped out that the squirrel head. Afterall, the squirrel is suppose to be hiding behind the pumpkin! Oh, remember to put the squirrel hands over the pumpkin using a dot of glue.

The Thanks sentiment is from Lawn Fawn diecut. I have been in love with Felt materials recently. I went to Diaso to get those cheap thinner type of felt to use. Because it is thinner, it is also harder to cut when you run it through the big shot. For me, I stick my felt onto a piece of copier paper to solve this problem! It will cut like a butter after that and you will have no trouble adding liquid adhesives to stick it down later on. 

Ok, that's all for now! I hope the numerous techniques i have mentioned earlier has brought some inspiration for you to get crafty now! See you soon!




0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for dropping by! Let me know what you were thinking when you read this post and you may leave a url for me to visit back. :)